Friday 25 January 2019

Call with Torben

Sorry for mixing Czech and English articles in one blog, but sometimes when it is more comfortable for me I will write in English. Firstly, I don't expect many people to read this blog, so it is irrelevant whether it is in English or not. Secondly, I believe many potential readers speak English and lastly, you can use Google Translate anytime :-)

I wanted to start with regular weekly blog posting, but I found this draft which I saved after my last post of the video on Monday. I wrote down a couple of questions for Torben, my future colleague. I wanted to ask the following questions:
  • Accommodation - how did you find the flat, do you live alone or you share?
  • Where do you live and why did you choose the area?
  • PPS No.
    • When to arrange it? 
    • Do I need some confirmation from work? 
    • And do I need to have a rental contract?
  • Bank
    • Which one do you use? 
    • I would like to set-up the N26 account, any XP? 
  • Leap card. where to buy it?
  • Company laptop and phone
    • Do we get it? 
    • Can we use it for personal matters? 
    • In my current company, it is normal...
  • Dress code - is T-shirt ok, or does everybody wear shirts?
  • Food - is there any restaurant in the offices? is it expensive?
  • Why did you move from Denmark?
Torben was very kind and helpful. He told me he lived between Leixlip and Dublin centre. He moved to Ireland with his family so they chose the location with his wife. Fair enough. I still don't know if it was better to live directly in Leixlip or somewhere in Dublin. But we will see.

PPS No. - according to Torben it is no problem to get it. I need some proof of address first and I also need a valid reason to get it (like work). Then I just need to visit the office in person. There is an online form to book an appointment. I already knew that, but it really seems this shouldn't be an issue. Torben said I would be able to get the first salary even without the number and I would be taxed with so-called emergency tax.

Bank - there are two bank affiliates on the campus. Bank of Ireland and AIB. It would be the easiest way to just use their services and set-up a current account at HPE offices. He heard about N26, but he doesn't have any personal experience.

I didn't ask about the Leap card as I found out before the call that there are many places where to buy it and there are two shops at the airport where I can buy it.

Employees do not get a company cell phone at HPE. Hmmm, that's a pity, but what can you do :-)

Dress code is not what I expected. I assumed that it would be more relaxed in a technological company. Torben said that tie is not required, but everyone wears a shirt, on Friday it is ok to wear jeans and polo. Hmm, I will need to buy some shirts and more importantly, I will have to do the ironing every week :-( Not good.

What the agency told me about the free food is apparently not true, but there is a canteen on the campus. As I heard it is very decent and the prices are reasonable around €8 for lunch and €4 for a sandwich. Good to hear, I hope it will be really good.

I asked about the commuting as I found an apartment in Kimmage, Dublin 12. Torben said he usually goes by car to work and also most people are coming by car. The office is "in the middle of nowhere" so it is obviously the most common way. There are plenty of parking spaces around the offices.

It was a very friendly call. I'm glad for all the information I got. I'm really looking forward to meeting Torben in person. He seems like a nice guy and it will be a pleasure to be his colleague. I'm a bit more relaxed. I think there is nothing to be afraid of regarding the administration of all the documents and so on.

Thanks, Torben! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leto po Irsku

  Tento zpusob leta... Dlouho jsem nic nenapsal, pritom veslych zazitku ze zivota na smaragdovem ostrove je docela dost... Naposledy kdyz js...